Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Gluten Free dining in the North End Boston, MA

Just a quick note to some great readers who wrote some wonderful comments over the past year...I just read them and hit the publish button. Thank you for taking the time to write, and I am so sorry I did not respond! I forgot I put an approval for them to publish. I had been getting so much spam, I had to stop that somehow. Thank you so much for all your comments and contributions. I will try and check them more often. You also have inspired me to write a post...here's to you... 


 I just came back from a wet, but glorious time in the North end. If you don't know about it..let me fill you in. It's the Italian district in Boston. The freedom trail runs through there. (the magic red line on the sidewalks that bring all over the city to see the historical sites.) This is the place where Paul Revere rode through the night to have them put the lights in the North Church to alert the patriots which way the British soldiers were approaching, one if by land, two if by sea. But you didn't come here for a history lesson, You came here for the food, and now the North End is starting to deliver. Modern Pastry Shop has a few gluten free and dairy free goodies in the counter, whoopee pies, muffins, cannolo, and just maybe some biscotti. I talked to the owner and she said she started making these since one of her daughters (or did she say all of them?) has to eat gluten free and dairy free. Hop on in, grab an espresso and a sweet treat! I went to Benevento's for lunch and they offer gluten free pizza and pasta. The pizza was okay. I think it was a French Meadow Bakery crust. I appreciate the effort and the ability to eat with everyone else. The toppings were excellent. I wish they would get Joan's Gluten Free Great Bakes crust, then this would be the spot! Next time, I would try the pasta, just because I am curious. I would go again with my family just to be able to share a meal together and look forward to the delicious cheese, toppings and know the crust isn't the highlight. Next up, dinner at Marco's. Love this place..the food was delicious. If you notify them ahead of time, by about 24 hours or call when you make reservations, they will try and make some gluten free bread for you. Great to dip in the fabulous gravy. Gluten free pasta is offered here as well. Cannot wait to go again! I had breakfast at Caffe Nuovo, an omelet and home fried potatoes. She skillet fries the potatoes, so they are safe. Just let your server know you are gluten free, and they will accommodate you. My mother went crazy over the truffles scrambled eggs, I was very happy with my generous western omelet. Make sure you eat at Familio Georgio’s on Salem Street. Fresh gluten free pasta, gf pizza, so much it’s amazing. Great for the whole family.  There are other restaurants in the North end that do gluten free, I just did not go to them. Nebo keeps popping up, but I have yet to try it. If you have, leave a comment and let me know if I need to get over there,. I am getting hungry just reviewing all this great food. When can I go again??? Cheers, Mrs. GF

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I read this the last time we went to the city! It's a great post, Danielle!

Get email alert when there is a new post.

Enter your email address: